What is a Dental Veneer?
Porcelain veneers are longer lasting and stain-resistant when compared to composite veneers, but may be costlier. Porcelain veneers, if well taken care of, can last well up to 20 years hence are an excellent investment if you want to achieve your dream smile.
Special dental veneers that do not require any tooth material to be trimmed down are also available. They are called as Lumineers or “no-prep veneers”
Am I a suitable candatite for Veneers?
Also, keep in mind that dental veneers can only correct slight problems in the alignment of your front teeth. If your teeth are severely misaligned, you may have to undergo an orthodontic treatment first.
When are Dental Veneers used?
Discolouration, uneven or yellow teeth
Chipped or broken front teeth
Gaps between teeth
Abnormally small teeth
Crooked or misaligned teeth
Abnormally shaped front teeth
Alternatives to Dental Veneers
Dental crowns are “caps” or coverings that cover the entire tooth. They offer protection from attack by bacteria in the mouth, chemical agents like acids in food, and physical wear by abrasives. Crowns are made of different materials like metals, ceramic, porcelain or resin and hence can be used to treat gaps, discolourations, and alignment problems in the front teeth. Porcelain or ceramic crowns are suitable alternatives to veneers if you’re looking for tooth-coloured restorations with a slightly lesser budget.
Composite fillings utilize a tooth coloured material called composite to build up chipped or broken tooth structure. In comparison to veneers, they are a cost-effective treatment option for correcting front tooth defects since we can also match composite fillings to the colour of natural teeth. Composite bonding treatment involves building up the composite material to form tooth contours and setting the material in place using UV light.
What is the treatment process of Dental Veneers?
Once you’re cleared, your dentist will take trim down the front surface of your teeth (usually by 1 mm) and take an impression using a dental mould. This will take about 30 mins. We will then send your measurements to the lab for fabrication of the veneers.
After a week or two, we will recall you for your next appointment where we will fix the veneers to your teeth after evaluating its shape, size, colour and fit to match with your requirements. A thorough cleaning of your teeth will be done prior to attaching the veneers to ensure there is no bacterial residue beneath the veneers. After which, a strong dental adhesive will bond the veneers to your teeth and it will be set in place using UV light. We will complete the entire process in under 2 hours.
- They require the least amount of tooth trimming (so we save a lot of natural tooth structure)
- Porcelain veneers are the most aesthetically pleasing treatment option for front teeth defects (like gaps, discolourations or crookedness)
- Can be matched with natural tooth colour or made to look whiter
- Porcelain veneers last up to 15-20 years
- Porcelain veneers do not stain at all (with coffee, wine, or cigarette stains)
- A costlier option than crowns or onlay
- Veneers leave other areas of the tooth exposed to decay
- Teeth may become sensitive to hot and cold
- Dental veneers are irreversible
- You cannot bite on hard foods with your front teeth, else you risk the veneers getting chipped or broken
- Composite veneers last for about 6-8 years and have to be replaced after that
- Not suitable for unhealthy, weak or damaged teeth
- Not suitable for people with teeth clenching habit (bruxism)
How much are Dental Veneers?
Price List : Cosmetic
Susan Crean Dental & Facial Aesthetics Tralee
Contact Susan Crean Dental & Facial Aesthetics
Highly recommended. Professional, time efficient and affordable, this dental practice is one of the best I have ever encountered. All the staff are friendly and instantly puts you at ease the minute you enter the building. Susan herself is highly knowledgeable and not only gives a stellar service but cares about her patients and always goes the extra mile to make sure her patients are happy and satisfied with their treatments. Will be going here for all my dental needs for many years to come
July 4, 2021